My mom used to make chutney with Green tomatoes...since we do not get them here, I thought why not use the same recipe for Tomatillos (They do look like tomatoes..and they are Green...so why not...;)!!!). However, when I tried the first time I realized the recipe gotta be changed a lot..so, here is my self-made recipe for Tomatillo Chutney...that resembles Indian Tomato Chutney. :)
Ingredients for Chutney:
Tomatillo - 1 lbs
Channa Daal - 2 tbsp
Urad Daal - 1 tbsp
Coriander Seeds (Dhaniya Seeds) - 2 tbsp
Jeera Seeds - 1 tbsp
Garlic Cloves - 3 if large, 5 if small
Green Chillies - 5 or 6 (if you want more spicy add a few more)
Tamarind piece - 5 to 6 flakes or strips of tamarind (if you want less tart reduce the tamarind)
Sesame Seeds - 2tsps (teaspoons not table spoons)
Coconut Powder - 4 tbsps
Pinch of Turmeric
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
Urad Daal - 1/2 tsp
Jeera Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red Chillies - 2 or 3 broken to 1-inch pieces
Karivepaaku / Basil Leaves - 5 or 6
Hing a pinch
1) Peal the leaves covering the Tomatillo. Wash them well to remove the sticky nature.
2) Cut them into big pieces. Put oil in a pan on the stove. Fry the tomatillos till they are cooked well. Remove from stove and cool.
3) Now in another pan, pour a little oil. Add Urad daal and Channa Daal to this. Mix once. Add Coriander Seeds and Garlic cloves. Fry a little.
4) Add Green Chillies and Tamarind piece. Fry till green chillies cook (but dont let the mixture burn).
5) Add sesame seeds, fry till they become light brown.
6) Add Coconut powder and turmeric. Fry till all are cooked well. Remove from stove and cool.
7) After the mixtures cool, grind all of them except Tomatillos into a granular paste.
8) Add salt Now add tomatillos and grind the whole mixture into a nice paste. Add water if needed. Place all the mixture into a bowl.
9) Now add tadka using all the ingredients listed above (under Tadka) in a little oil.
The chutney is ready. Can be eaten with rice or chapati or even dosa. Enjoy the chutney!!!