Kitchen Fun - Griddle Cakes
While reading the book, Deep River, the second in the Castings Trilogy, by Pamela Freeman, one of the characters, Lady Sorn, talks about making griddle cakes for dessert. I was curious what these were and found a surprisingly easy recipe to make them.
With most of my recipes, I made a few changes to make it a healthier version, but you can discount other flours and just use all purpose flour to make these to create traditional griddle cakes. Additionally I made mine thin, you can make them as thick as possible too.
All Purpose Flour - 1/2 Cup
Buckwheat Flour - 1/4 Cup
Almond Flour - 1/4 Cup
Milk - 1 Cup
Butter - 2 Tablespoons
Salt per taste
1) In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients including Salt.
2) Melt butter and mix with Milk. Fold the mixed potion into the dry ingredients. Mix into a smooth batter.
3) Heat a griddle or a flat pan you use for making dosas. Apply butter or oil.
4) Pour a ladle full of the batter, dab it lightly to make a circle.
5) Cook on both sides till they turn golden brown.
6) Remove from heat.
The Griddle can be made Savory or Sweet versions. For Sweet version, I spread Nutella paste and topped with sliced banana. You can add strawberries or any fruit of your choice or use regular jam or jelly instead of Nutella.
For Savory version, I made two cakes, each one topped with shredded cheese while cooking on stove. Once cooked one both sides, I spread Cream Cheese (of your choice) on one cake, then folded the other cake on it with the cheese side down making it a sort of a sandwich.
Either options tasted yummy. I am sure you can try this easy recipe and make your own yummy versions of sweet or savory griddle cakes. Go experiment and have fun!!
1) If needed, add a little water to make a smooth batter. However, Milk should be sufficient enough.