Kitchen Fun - Apple Beetroot Carrot Cucumber Juice AKA ABC Juice
One of my daily intake is this Apple Beetroot Carrot Cucumber Juice which I fondly call it as ABC Juice. I take in two options:
A) Juiced - Using a juicer to separate out the pulp
B) Blended - Using a blender to include the pulp.
Juiced is my most common method of making this healthy drink and consuming it. While in the quarantine mode that we are in now, I changed to the Blended version taking in the fiber as well. Only because the Blended option stretches my groceries a few more weeks without me going out for shopping or ordering online for a while.
During my cancer treatments that I went through between 2017 and 2019, one of the key thing that I needed to ensure was that keep my red blood cell count to the acceptable levels. If not the hospital wouldn’t give me treatment that week and it would get postponed. Not wanting that to happen, my mother found ways to give me nutritious food to keep the blood count up. One of the two juices that I had taken during that time was this ABC Juice along with Pomegranate Juice once or twice a week.
I have to say that not a single week of treatment we missed after I started taking this ABC juice (Juiced version) daily. It not only increased by red blood cells, but also other counts that (erythrocytes, platelets, etc) need to be on acceptable levels started staying there and stable. Additionally my energy levels also dramatically increased which helped me cope with the treatments as well. Thanks to my mom's research this one glass of juice daily had created miracles for me.
The Juiced version is more effective than the Blended version if you want the red blood cells to increase faster. However, do not discount the Blended form of the juice. It helps keep the fiber level stable helping your body to take in the trauma that the cancer treatments leave in their wake.
I feel it is more effective if you take this the first thing in the morning before you start eating your breakfast. A good 30 minutes after if you can eat breakfast, it will give you more benefit. After more than three years, this has become a norm for me to drink the ABC juice first thing in the morning. Can't imagine to start my day without it anymore.
Now, here is my version of the Blended ABC Juice. For Juiced version I double the measurements, and use a Juicer to make the juice.
1) Apple - 1/4 of a medium size one
2) Beetroot - A small portion of a large sized beetroot.
3) Carrot - 1 small or 1/4 piece of a large carrot.
4) Cucumber - 1/4 piece of a standard size cucumber
5) Chia Seed - 3 teaspoons
6) Honey - per taste
7) Ginger - 1/4 inch grated
8) Lemon Juice - per taste
9) Water - as needed
1) Cut Apple, Beetroot, Carrot and Cucumber into small pieces.
2) Blend the ingredients in a blender with Ginger and Water as needed.
3) Pour the contents into a tall glass.
4) Add in the Chia Seeds, Honey and Lemon Juice.
5) Stir well until Honey dissolves well.
6) Drink it to enjoy a refreshing energy flowing through you.
1) I use Gala Apples since they juice better. However for blended version any kind of apple is fine.
2) My local Indian store has large thick Carrots that is easier to measure and cut. If you find them I would suggest to use them.