Kitchen Fun: Cheesy Aloo Chaat Toast (Cheesy Potato Chaat Toast)
Bread Toast is one of my quick breakfasts when I make it on those days that I have less time even to gobble anything. Toast with butter and slap it with jam, jelly or cream cheese, may be once in a while top it with a sunny-side up egg. That's it! The most effort I did beyond this was may be make a simple French Toast on one of those rare days.
However, recently I came across a video that had these varieties of Bread Toast made Indian Style. They looked so delicious, and yes of course would need a little more time than what I normally put in, and still couldn’t resist trying one as soon as I could. So, here you go, the Cheesy Aloo Chaat Toast.
1) Bread of your choice - 2 slices
2) Potato - 1 medium sized
3) Peas - 1/4 cup
4) Sweet Corn - 1/4 cup
5) Onion - 1 small sized
6) Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
7) Coriander / Dhaniya Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
8) Cumin / Jeera Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
9) Red Chili Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
10) Amchur / Dried Mango Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
11) Ginger Garlic Paste - 1/4 teaspoon
12) Kasuri Methi (Dried Methi Leaves) - 1/4 teaspoon
13) Cilantro - a few sprigs chopped finely
14) Cheese (of your choice) - as needed
15) Salt per taste
16) Oil for sautéing
17) Butter for toasting
1) Boil the Potato, remove the peel, and mash it well. Keep it aside.
2) Cook Peas and Sweet Corn - either in pressure cooker (with one whistle) or in microwave (check out Tips section below on how to do). Keep it aside.
3) In a pan, heat a little Butter. And toast the Bread slices on one side. Keep them aside.
4) In a sauce pan, heat little Oil. Add finely chopped Onions. Saute them.
5) Now add Ginger Garlic Paste, Mix well. Let saute a little.
6) Add Turmeric Powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, Amchur Powder and Red Chili Powder. Mix well.
7) Add cooked Corn and Peas to the pan, mash lightly with a potato masher. Mix well.
8) Now add mashed Potato, mix well.
9) Add Salt peer your taste, chopped Chilantro and Dried Methi Leaves. Stir well until all the contents are mixed well. If needed mash it using the potato masher.
10) Take it off from the stove and keep aside.
11) On the side the bread is already toasted, take a large spoonful of the potato chaat mix, apply it on the bread into a thick layer.
12) Sprinlkle shredded Cheese of your choice on top.
13) In a pan, heat a little Butter, and place the Bread with the stuffing and cheese on top.
14) Cook it with a covered lid until Cheese melts.
15) Serve hot as is or pair it with any kind of ketchup or sauce.
1) I found that if you go for a Whole Wheat Bread the toast became a little more crispier than using a Milk Bread or a White Bread.
2) If you have Dhan-Jira Powder (Coriander-Cumin Powder), you can use that too instead of adding Cumin and Coriander Powder separately.
3) Put 1/2 a cup water in a bowl, add Corn and Peas. Microwave for 8 to 10 mins to get nicely cooked version too.
4) I used Mexican Cheese blend so it gives that heat and kick to the toast when you take a bite.