Kitchen Fun - Date & Walnuts Bread
As part of my recovery period that started a year ago post-cancer, I am supposed to eat walnuts and dates everyday. However, after a year of eating them, I started feeling bored of them and had been trying to find ways to incorporate them in my daily intake. One way I found was to make this date & walnut bread.
Easy recipe, healthy ingredients and suits my purpose, even though I felt it a bit on drier side.
1) Coarsely chopped Dates - 1 Cup
2) Walnuts - 1/2 Cup (chopped into small pieces)
3) All Purpose Flour - 2 Cups
4) Cinnamon Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
5) Baking Soda - 1/2 teaspoon
6) Salt - as needed
7) Boiling Water - 1 Cup
8) Baking Powder - 1 1/2 teaspoon
9) Unsalted Butter (Cold) - 1/2 Cup
10) Apple Sauce - 1/4 Cup
1) In a bowl, mix chopped Dates, Baking Soda, 1/8 teaspoon Salt and Boiling Water. Stir it well and leave it to cool to room temperature for approximately 30 minutes.
2) On a baking sheet, place the chopped Walnuts and bake in an over for 8 to 10 minutes or until they turn lightly brown.
3) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or Spray a regular loaf pan.
4) In a mixing bowl, mix the Flour, Baking Powder, 1/4 teaspoon Salt and Ground Cinnamon until they all mix well. Now add the Butter and mix it thoroughly. The whole mixture should look like coarse breadcrumbs.
5) Add the chopped & toasted Walnuts and Apple Sauce. Mix well.
6) Now add the cooled Dates & Water mixture to it and fold it all into to form a thick batter.
7) Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
8) Bake it for about 55 to 60 minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
9) Remove from oven, cool it, before having a slice.
1) Butter should be cold. So make sure you remove it from fridge right at the moment you add into the mixing bowl.
2) My Dates were quite sweet so I didn’t add any additional Sugar. However, if you want the bread to be more on sweeter side, you can add 1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar.
3) I used Apple Sauce instead of Eggs. However, if you want to use Eggs, use 1 Medium Egg.
This perfectly made it up for me to replace the Walnuts & Dates that I need to consume a day. One slice suffices to me. Enjoy it one day at a time for a healthy and nutritious snack.