10/17/2012: Masala Dal - On days when I am down or have fever or just lazy this is one of the dishes that I make and prefer to eat. Easy recipe, takes away the dreariness with its spices and clears my mind with the flavors.
1) In a pressure cooker, cook 1/2 cup Moong Dal, 1/2 cup Black Gram Dal and 1/2 cup Toor Dal with 3.5 cups of Water upto 4 whistles.
2) Let the pressure get off before removing the whistle.
3) In a pan, heat 2 tsps of Oil. Add 1 medium Onion chopped finely and saute till they are translucent.
4) Add 1 medium Tomato chopped finely and cook for few minutes.
5) Now add the cooked Dals, 1 tsp Coriander Powder, 1 tsp Garam Masala, Red Chili Powder per taste and Salt per taste.
6) Stir well and cook on low flame for 5 minutes. Add Water if needed.
7) Remove from flame and garnish with few sprigs of Cilantro leaves.
8) Serve hot with Rice or Roti.