10/12/2012: Sorakaya (Lauki / Bottle Gourd) Rasam - Rasam with Bottle Gourd was something that I had never knew was made. Came across this recipe while googling for something else. A little too many ingredients but it did turn out well. And I think I would have liked it more if it was little less spicier. Ya ya ya ya, I am an Andhrite who cant eat spicy food. Call me crazy. **wicked grin**
1) Peel and chop 1 medium Bottle Gourd into bite size pieces.
2) In a pan heat 2 tsps Oil. Add 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds, 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1/4 tsp Chana Dal, 1/4 tsp Urad Dal, a few pieces of Red Chilis, a few Methi Seeds and pinch of Turmeric.
3) Once the spices heat, add 2 medium Green Chilis chopped finely, 1 medium Onion chopped finely and saute till the Onions become transparent.
4) Add the chopped Bottle Gourd pieces and cool under medium flame till the pieces turn tender.
5) Add Salt per taste, 1 tsp Coriander Powder, 1 tsp Rasam Powder, Sugar per taste and 1/2 cup of Tamarind Water.
6) Add Water if needed. Bring the contents to a boil.
7) Remove from flame and let it cool.
8) Garnish with a few sprigs of Cilantro before serving with Rice.