10/02/2012: Kanjeevaram Idli - Made this a year and a half ago when Deepa posted about the same. Re-tried it again for this photo blog. But my blonde brain forgot to take a pic of the same. Hence reposting the same picture with the recipe now. :P
1) Soak 1 cup Rice and 1 cup Urad Dal in enough water for 3 hours. Drain the water after 3 hours.
2) In a blender, grind them together inot a semi-coarse batter.
3) Let it sit for approx 8 to 20 hrs for fermenting. The whole batter rises a little.
4) When ready to make the Idlis, heat 1 tsp Oil in a skillet.
5) Add 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds, 1/4 tsp Chana Dal, 2 Green Chillis finely chopped, a pinch of Asafoetida, 1/2 tsp grated Ginger, a pinch of Turmeric, 1/4 tsp
Pepper Powder and 2 tsps of Coconut Powder.
6) Once the spices are fried, add to the Idli batter. Add Salt per taste.
7) Mix well. Add little Water if the batter is too thick.
8) Pour spoonful of batter into greased idli moulds. Steam them in pressure cooker without whistle for 15 mins.
9) Once the cooker and molds are cool, remove Idlis from the moulds.
10) Serve hot with Coconut Chutney and Sambar. I served it with Tomato Chutney also.