10/01/2012: Capsicum (Mixed Bell Pepper) Rice - One of the dish I made with the fresh Bell Peppers that I had bought at the farmer's market the day before was this yummy spicy Rice. Apt for dinner or lunch. Even though the items used for preparation seem too many, it is very easy to make. Do try it out.
1) Pressure cook 1 cup of Rice (I used Basmati Rice. Any Rice can be used except for Long Grain Rice) with 2 Cups of Water.
2) Cut two medium Bell Peppers (of two different colors) into bite size pieces.
3) Once the pressure is off and completely cooled, remove the whistle. Fluff the rice with a fork gently and keep aside.
4) In a small skillet, heat 1/2 tsp Ghee. Roast 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds, 4 to 8 Peppercorns, 2 to 3 Red Chilis, 1 tsp Urad Dal, 1 tsp Chana Dal, 1 tsp Coriander Seeds, 2 to 3 Cloves, 1/2 inch Cinnamon Stick and 2 tbsps Coconut Powder (Grated or Fresh or Frozen).
5) Once the spices are fried well remove from flame and set it aside to cool.
6) Once they are cooled, grind them into a semi-fine powder and keep it aside.
7) In a pan heat 1 tsp of Oil. Add 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1/2 tsp Urad Dal, a few Curry Leaves, 2 Red Chilis (split into pieces), a few Cashewnuts and a pinch of Hing.
8) Once the spices are fried, add the chopped Bell Peppers. Stir well and add a pinch of Turmeric Powder and Salt per taste.
9) Fry till Bell Peppers are semi-cooked. Add the ground powder and stir well.
10) Once the Bell Peppers are cooked, add the fluffed up rice and toss till all ingredients are mixed well.
11) Add a little more salt if needed. Simmer on low flame for a few minutes.
12) Remove from flame. Garnish with Cilantro Leaves.
13) Serve with Raitha or Curd or Chips.