Prologue: Go here. 09/24/2012: Beetroot Daal - Next up with the Beets that I have is this Spice Beetroot Daal. Again a simple regular Daal with a twist that is little sweet, little spicy and a lot more yummier.
1) Peel and grate 1 medium Beetroot.
2) In a pressure cooker, cook 1 cup Green Gram Dal (Moong Dal / Pesarapappu), grated Beetroot, pinch of Turmeric Powder, Salt per taste and 2.5 cups of Water.
3) In the meanwhile, in a blender grind 2 tbsps of Coconut Powder and 3 to 4 medium Green Chilins along with 1 tsp of Cumin Seeds into fine paste.
4) Once the pressure cooker cools, remove the whistle and pour the contents into a sauce pan.
5) Add the ground paste, Water if needed and Salt if needed. Mix well and let the contents boil.
6) Remove from flame and pour into a serving bowl.
7) In a small skillet heat 1.5 tsps of Oil. Add 1/4 tsp of Mustard Seeds, 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds, 1/4 tsp Urad Dal, a few Curry Leaves, a pinch of Asafoetida and a few flakes of Red Chilis.
8) Once the spices heat, add it to the Dal.
9) Garnish with Cilantro Leaves. Serve with Rice or Roti.