09/20/2012: Undrallu - Another delicacy that is made for Ganesh Chathurthi festival are Undrallu (Small Balls of sweet or spice). This comes in two versions, Sweet and Spice. I prefer the Spicy version.
1) Dry a cup of Rice in sun for a few hours.
2) In a blender, grind the Rice into a coarse powder. It should not become too fine, it should have the consistency coarser than that of Sooji / Semolina.
3) In a sauce pan, heat 1 tsp Oil. Add 1/4 tsp Jeera Seeds, 1/4 tsp Chana Dal and a pinch of Asafoetida.
4) Now add 2 cups of Water and Salt per taste. Bring it to a boil.
5) Add the ground Rice and mix well. Simmer on low flame and cook till the Rice cooks.
6) Remove from flame, cool. Make into small balls with hand.
7) Serve with any Chutney of your choice.