09/17/2012: Sorakaya (Lauki / Bottle Gourd) Rice - Like I said more than once, anything can be added to plain Rice and make it into something special. This time along I tried adding Sorakaya to Rice with my usual simple recipe. I had decorated the dish with fresh dates that I had left over from the previous day. Hope you all will enjoy it too.
1) Cook 2 cups of Rice in pressure cooker. Once the cooker is cooled, fluff rice with a fork and keep it aside.
2) Peel and grate one small Sorakaya.
3) In a pan, heat 1 tsp Oil. Add 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds, 2 Cloves, 1/4 inch Cinnamon Stick, 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds, a pinch Turmeric Powder, 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder, 1/2 tsp Coriander (Cilantro) Powder and 1/2 tsp Garam Masala.
4) Let the spices mix and heat well. Add the grated Sorakaya, stir well till the spices get coated.
5) Add Salt per taste and cook till the Sorakaya cooks.
6) Add the cooked and fluffed rice, mix well.
7) Simmer on low flame for a few minutes.
8) Serve hot with Raita and Chutney or just plain Curd.