09/11/2012: Methi Leaves Idli - Wanting to do something different with Methi (Fenugreek) Leaves other than the usual works that I make, I came across this recipe, Idli with a twist. Loved it so much when I tasted the finished product.
1) Make Idli Batter with the usual recipe (Soak 1 cup Urad Dal and 2 cups Idli Rava separately for 3 hrs. Remove the water from the Idli Rava by pressing with your palms and put it in a mixing bowl. Blend Urad Dal into a smooth paste. Add it to the bowl along with Salt per taste. Mix it well and store it in a warm place for approx 8 hrs or overnight. The batter rises a little).
2) Pluck Methi leaves from the twigs. Rinse and chop 1/2 a cup of Methi Leaves.
3) In a pan heat 1 tsp Oil. Add 1/4 tsp Jeera Seeds and 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds.
4) Once the spices heat, add 2-3 medium Green Chilis chopped finely.
5) Add the chopped Methi Leaves and cook them till the leaves turn light green.
6) Add this to the Idli Batter.
7) Smear ghee on the Idli Mounds. Fill a ladle full of the batter into each of the mounds.
8) Steam cook them for 10 to 12 minutes in pressure cooker without whistle.
9) Let them cool for a few minutes before carefully removing them from the moulds.
10) Serve the Methi Leaves Idli with Sambar or Coconut Chutney or Chutney Powder.