09/05/2012: Sorakaya (Bottle Gourd) Dal Chana Dal - I make so many Daals and I wondered how I forgot to make one with Sorakaya. When I was going thru posts and realized I hadnt posted one, I thought it's about time I post one. May be it's someone's time to try the recipe as well! **silly smile**
1) In a pressure pan, add 1 medium Sorakaya (peeled and diced to bite size pieces), 3/4 cup Chana Dal (Bengal Gram / Senagapappu) and 3 cups Water. Pressure cook it until you get three whistles.
2) In the meanwhile make a paste of 3 tbsps of Coconut Powder, 3 medium Green Chilis and 1/2 tsp Jeera (Cumin) Seeds in a blender. Keep it aside.
3) Once the pressure is off, remove the lid. The Dal would seem semi-cooked. Don't worry, that is how it should become.
4) Add the Coconut-Green Chili Paste, Salt per taste and 1/2 cup of Water to the contents.
5) Mix well and cook on low flame covered for 12 - 15 mins or until the contents become thick in consistency.
6) Once the desired consistency is reached, remove from flame and pour into a serving bowl.
7) In a small skillet, heat 2 tsp of Oil. Add 1/4 ts Mustard Seeds, 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds, 1/4 tsp Urad Dal, a few Curry Leaves, 2 to 3 flakes of Dry Red Chilis, a pinch of Asafoetida and a pinch of Turmeric.
8) Once the spices heat a little, add 1/2 tsp of Coconut Powder. Stir quickly and pour the tempering on to the Dal in the serving bowl.
9) Serve with Rice or Roti.