08/31/2012: Moong Dal Awadhi Style - An ad on radio willed me to look for simple Awadhi style vegetarian recipes that I could cook at home. Surprisingly there were not too different from Telugu-style or Tamil-style or Punjabi-style (all different cuisines in India) dishes that I have cooked so far. As usual I forgot to put salt in the dal while cooking so I had to add it later while eating. *Smirking and smacking my head laughing**
1) In a pan, dry roast 1 cup of Moong Dal / Split Yellow Dal for a few minutes. Pour it into a pressure pan.
2) To it add 1 tsp of Ginger-Green Chili Paste, 1 small Onion chopped finely and 2.5 cups of Water.
3) Cook till the contents are soft (approximately upto 3 whistles).
4) Once the pressure is off, remove the lid, stir the dal gently to mash it evenly.
5) Add 1/2 a cup of freshly blended Tomato puree, 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder, 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder and 1/4 tsp Garam Masala.
6) Stir and cook on low flame for a few minutes and remove from flame.
7) In another small pan, heat 1 tsp Oil. Saute 1/4 Onion sliced thinly.
8) Add the sauted Onions and few sprigs of Cilantro to the dal.
9) Serve with Rice or Roti.