08/26/2012: Horsegram (Ulavalu) Rice - Another bottle that I found hideen in my kitchen cabinets that contained these grains, Horsegram. Brown flat round seeds; that is how they look like. Unawares as to what to do with them, I took help of ever friendly Google which never fails to help. :) Here is the successful experiment of one of the recipes (simplified by me ofcourse!) I found. Hope you will enjoy it too!
1) Wash 1 cup of Rice and keep aside.
2) In a pressure cooker, heat 2 tsps of Oil. Add 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1/4 tsp Jeera Seeds, few Curry Leaves, a pinch of Turmeric and 1 Red Chili broken into pieces.
3) Add 2 Green Chilis chopped finely, 1 medium Onion chopped finely and one Garlic clove minced finely. Stir a little.
4) Add 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder, 1/2 tsp Cumin-Coriander Powder and 1 small Tomato chopped finely. Stir a little.
5) Add 1/2 cup Horsegram and stir the entire contents till all are coated with spices well.
6) Add Rice, Salt to taste, 1 tsp of Tamarind Paste and 4 cups of Water.
7) Pressure cook the contents and remove from flame after 3 whistles.
8) Serve with Curd and Chutney Powder.