08/09/2012: Happy Janmashtami - Janmashtami is the festival that celebrates birth of Lord Krishna. I prepared this Poha Kheer (Kheer with Flattened Rice) for this festival this year, primarily because it was easy and quick to make. And secondarily this is closest to what I could make that is a favorite of Krishna :) I love this festival cause of the Dahi Handi breaking event; a event wear a pot of curd (or goodies) is tied high above and people form human tower to climb and break it. People around throw water at the people forming tower in order to break the tower. It simulates the childhood event of Lord Krishna when he would form a tower with his friends to steal curds and cheese. Another reason to love this festival is because Lord Krishna is my favorite God too. Hope you all had a fun time this Janmashtami!
1) Wash and soak 1 cup of Poha for a few minutes.
2) In a pan, heat 1 tsp of Ghee and fry a few Cashewnuts till golden brown.
3) Add 2 tsps of Coconut Powder and fry a little.
4) Add 2 cups of Milk, stir and bring to a boil.
5) Add Sugar per taste, Cardamom Powder and soaked Poha.
6) Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Serve warm or hot.