07/22/2012: Methi Rice / Fenugreek Leaves Rice - Since I am making all kinds of Rice varieties lately, I thought let me try it with Methi too. The dish looked yummy after cooking, but it had the bitter taste that comes with Methi Leaves. I suppose I could have added something to reduce the bitterness, but not sure what. Any ideas?
1) Chop 1/2 a small bunch of Methi Leaves lightly and keep them aside.
2) Cook 1 cup of Rice in pressure cooker with 2 cups of Water and a tsp of Oil. Once cooked, take it in a bowl and fluff it with a fork once cooled.
3) In a pan, heat 1 tsp of Oil. Add 1/4 tsp Jeera, 1/4 tsp Mustard, 1/4 tsp Urad Dal, a few Cashewnuts, a few sprigs of Curry Leaves, 2 medium Green Chilis chopped finely and a pinch of Asafoetida.
4) After the spices fry, add 1/2 medium Onion finely chopped.
5) Fry till Onions are translucent. Add Salt per taste and stir a little.
6) Add Methi and cook till Methi is cooked. Then add the cooked Rice and mix well till all the ingredients are mixed.
7) Simmer on low flame for 2 minutes and remove from flame.
8) Serve hot with Curd or Raita or Chutney.