07/18/2012: Barley with Curd and Spices - South Indians have a traditional Curd Rice that we call Daddojanam in Telugu which is basically Curd / Yogurt mixed with Rice and Spices. I used the same recipe to make the dish with Barley instead of Rice. Surprisingly it turned out good. And Barley is healthier than Rice ofcourse.
1) Pressure cook 1 cup Barley with 3 cups of Water until it is soft. You might want to keep for 4 whistles.
2) Remove the contents into a bowl and leave it for cool.
3) Once cooled, add 1 1/2 cups of plain Yogurt / Curd (I used home-made yogurt) and 1/2 cup Milk. Mix well along with Salt per taste.
4) In a small skillet heat 1 tsp of Oil. To it add 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1/4 tsp Jeera Seeds, a few Curry Leaves, a pinch of Asafoetida, 1 tsp freshly grated Ginger and 3 small Green Chillis chopped.
5) Once the spices fry well add them to Barley mixture. Mix well.
6) Let it sit for a couple of hours before serving it.
7) Garnish with Cilantro, grated Carrot, cut pieces of Grapes or any of the above.
8) Serve as an entree or a side course.