Prologue: Go here.
07/17/2012: Kala Chana Curry / Black Chick Peas Curry - One is amazed what is found hidden in the corners of your kitchen cabinets and forgotten for a while. Yes sir! I found a bottle of Kala Chana or Black Chick Peas happily tucked behind the bottle of Barley that I had found a few weeks ago. A while ago I had made breakfast snack with this Chana. Now I made a curry out of it that can be served with Roti or Rice. Simple recipe and yummy curry!
1) Soak 1/2 cup of Kala Chana in Water for 24 hours. Filter the Water and microwave for 5 mins. Keep it aside.
2) In a pan heat 1 tsp Oil. Add 1/2 tsp Jeera Seeds, 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds, pinch of Turmeric and a few Curry Leaves.
3) Once the Spices sputter, add 1 small Onion chopped finely and 1/2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste.
4) Cook till Onions are translucent. Add 1 small Tomato chopped finely.
5) After Tomato cooks well, add the cooked Kala Chana, Salt for taste, 1 tsp Red Chili Powder and 1 tsp Chana Masala.
6) Stir well and let it cook for a few mins on low flame.
7) Remove from flame and garnish with sprigs of Cilantro and a squirt of Lime Juice (optional).
8) Serve with Rice or Roti.