07/08/2012: Karela Rice / Bitter Gourd Rice / Kakarakaya Fried Rice - Remember I said once that "anything can be stuffed to make it a stuffed roti". Well now I can say that "anything can be used for fried rice". When I said the same someone suggested that I should use Bitter Gourd next time when I experiment in my little kitchen. Although it was told in a mockery, I thought why not give it a try. And lo! and behold! there it is my new concoction, tasting yummilicious. Since I love Bitter Gourd, I found a new dish for myself to cook with it too. **evil grin**
PS: Just before posting this online I double-checked to see if there is indeed a recipe for Karela Rice. Indeed there is a recipe out there...however they use Karela pieces and I used grated in my recipe. Oh well! It was not my new concoction after all! Somebody already invented it, I just re-discovered I guess! He he he.
1) Lightly peel a medium-sized Bitter Gourd. Grate it finely and keep it aside.
2) In a pan heat 2 Tsps of Ghee. Add 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1/4 tsp Urad Dal, 1/4 tsp Jeera Seeds, a few Curry Leaves and a pinch of Turmeric.
3) Once the spices heat, add the grated Karela and saute for a few minutes.
4) Add Red Chili Powder (per your taste), 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder, 1/2 tsp Garam Masala and Salt for taste.
5) Cook on medium flame till Karela becomes soft.
6) Add 1 cup of cooked Rice, stir well until all the contents mix well. Simmer for a few minutes and remove from flame.
7) Garnish with Cilantro and fried Cashewnuts.
8) Serve warm with Chutney or Raita.