06/25/2012: Stuffed Bitter Gourd / Gutti Kakarakaya Kura - Although this vegetable is bitter, it is one of my favorites and I love to cook variations of this veggie. Here is a modified version of stuffed eggplant (brinjal) curry that I used for Bitter Gourd too! Enjoy!
1) Cut 2 medium Bitter Gourds into 2 inch pieces. Slit them partially without having the slit all the way go down.
2) In a bowl mix 1/4 cup ButterMilk, pinch salt and 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder. Place the slit Bitter Gourd pieces and leave for 10 mins.
3) Remove traces of liquid and keep them aside.
4) In a skillet, heat 1 tsp Oil, 2 medium Garlic cloves, an inch of Cinnamon Stick. Saute a little.
5) Add 1 medium Onion chopped, saute. Cool and grind to a coarse paste.
6) Remove the paste into a bowl. Add Salt per taste, 1/4 tsp Red Chili Powder, 1/4 tsp Sugar, 1/4 tsp Coriander Powder and 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder. Mix well.
7) Stuff the mixture into the Bitter Gourd pieces.
8) In a pan, heat 1 tsp Oil. Add 2 to 3 Curry Leaves, 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds and 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds and stir them. Now place the stuffed Bitter Gourd pieces in the oil along with any left over stuffing.
9) Cook on medium flame stirring in between to avoid sticking to the pan.
10) Add 1/4 tsp of Tamarind extract and 1/4 cup Water. Reduce flame, cover and cook for 10 to 13 mins.
11) Once the Bitter Gourd pieces are roasted well, remove from flame.
12) Serve with Rice or Roti.