06/16/2012: Kantola Curry - Kantola, also called as Indian gourd, looks like a small Bitter Gourd / Karela. However, it does not taste as bitter as Karela. I usually find them in the frozen aisle, but recently saw them in fresh vegetables section. A very simple and easy recipe that hardly takes any time to cook, but gives a yummy curry to relish on.
1) Cut Kantola into long thin pieces and keep aside.
2) In a pan heat Oil, add 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds, 2 to 3 medium Green Chilis finely chopped and a pinch of Turmeric Powder.
3) Add Kantola pieces and fry them a little.
4) Cook covered on low flame. Add a little water if the curry tends to stick to the pan.
5) Once the Kantola pieces are semi-cooked, add 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder, 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder and Salt per your taste.
6) Let it simmer till the curry is cooked.
7) Remove from flame and serve with Rice or Roti.