06/02/2012: Chayote Masala Curry - Chayote is commonly called as Chow Chow or Bangalore Brinjal from where I come. I always thought they looked like knotted Guavas but tasted like Pears. When I found them in the store one day, tried a very simple recipe to make a delicious curry out of this strange vegetable that protrays so many roles.
1) Cut the Chayote into bite size cubes and keep aside. Make sure that you remove the tender seed in the center before cutting into cubes.
2) In a pan heat 2 tsps Oil. Add 1 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1 tsp Cumin Seeds, 1 tsp Urad Dal and few Curry Leaves.
3) Once the spices sputter, add 1 medium Onion chopped finely, 1 medium Garlic clove minced finely and fry it well.
4) Add 2 tbsps of Red Chili Powder (or according to your taste) and fry again.
5) Add the Chayote pieces, Salt per taste, little Water and fry.
6) Simmer on covered lid and leave it until the Chayote cooks well.
7) Once curry is done, remove from flame, add 1 tsp limejuice and mix well.
8) Serve with Rice or Roti.