05/30/2012: Oats Vangi Bath - Another dish in my series "Obsession with Oats"! One makes Vangi Bath (Eggplant Rice) with Rice normally. However, me with my obsession made it with Oats. I must say it tastes exactly like Vangi Bath and no where you feel there are Oats in it. Absolutely loved my own concoction. He he!
1) Dry roast one cup Oats to slightly brown color and keep it aside.
2) In a pan heat 1 tsp Oil. Crackle 1 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1 tsp Chana Dal, 1tsp Urad Dal and few curry Leaves.
3) To it add 1 small Onion that are chopped finely and a pinch of Sugar. Fry till they are golden brown.
4) Add pieces of 3 Baby Egg Plants cut length-wise and fry till they become soft.
5) Add pinch of Turemeric, 2 to 3 tsbsps of Vangi Bath Powder (I used the MTR version that we get in Indian Stores) and Salt per your taste.
6) Mix well and add 3 cups of Water. Cover and let it boil.
7) Add the roasted Oats, mix well. Simmer under low flame till all contents get cooked well.
8) Garnish with fried Cashews (optional), pinch of Lemon Juice and Cilantro sprigs.
9) Serve hot with Chips, Raitha, Chutney or Curd.