05/26/2012: Parwal Masala Curry - I keep seeing this vegetable in the Indian Grocery store a lot and always wondered how would they taste and what to make with it. Finally I bought them one day to try cooking them. Parwal looks so similar to Tindora and when I chopped them the inside also looked the same. So I made this Masala Curry that I usually make with Tindora. Surprisingly turned out really good.
1) Wash and chop 1/2 lb of Parwal into long thin pieces.
2) In a blender make a fine paste of 2 tsps of Coconut Powder (Dry or Wet), 2 tsps of Coriander Seeds, 1 tsp of Cumin Seeds and 1 tsp of Khas Khas / Gasagasalu.
3) In a pan heat 2 tsp of Oil, add 1 tsp of Mustard Seeds, 1 tsp of Cumin Seends, 2 Cloves and 1/2 inch piece of Cinnamon.
4) When the Spices start to sputter add 1 medium Onion finely chopped. Saute a little.
5) Add 1 tbsp of Ginger Garlic Powder and Red Chilli Powder per your taste. Stir well and saute.
6) Add 1 Tomato chopped finely, saute till all the veggies cook well.
7) Now add the chopped Parwal pieces, Salt and 1 cup Water. Cover and cook on low flame for 5 to 10 mins.
8) Add 2 tbsp of Curd and the Coconut Paste. Mix well and cook till gravy thickens.
9) Serve with Rice, Dosa or Roti