05/22/2012: Brinjal (Eggplant) Gravy Curry with Sesame - Coming from the state of Andhra in India, it is so embarassing that I fail to make the Stuffed Brinjal Curry (Gutti Vankaya Curry) as it is usually supposed to be made. No matter how may times I try, I tend to break the Brinjals when I try to put the stuffing in. And even if I manage to get the Brinjals stuffed well, they seem to split while shallow-frying them. So, instead of making them stuffed, I use the same recipe to just make it as a regular gravy curry. Added to that being allergic to Peanuts I substitute it with Sesame Seeds. Oh Well, A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet! **evil grin**
5 Small Purple Brinjals - Wash and slice to long thin pieces
1 medium Onion - chopped finely.
3 to 4 medium Green Chilis - chopped finely
Sesame Seeds and Gasagasalu (Khus Khus) Mixture - Dry roast one tbsp of each and make it into a fine paste
1/2 tsp Jeera Seeds
3 to 4 Curry Leaves
1 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
Pinch of Turmeric Powder
1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
1 tsp Corainder Powder
1/4 tsp Jeera Powder
Salt per taste
Oil for Seasoning
1) In a pan heat 1 tsp of Oil, fry Green Chilis and Onions. Saute until cooked well. Remove and Cool.
2) Once cooled, grind them to a fine paste.
3) In the same pan, heat another teaspoon of Pil. Add Jeera Seeds and Curry Leaves, fry a little. Add the Onion Paste and Ginger Garlic Paste.
4) Saute a little then add the Sesame Gasagasalu Paste and stir.
5) Add Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder, Jeera Powder and Sat. Add 2 cups of Water.
6) Cook until water comes to a boil. Add the pieces of Brinjals and stir well.
7) Simmer on low flame until the curry thickens. Stir well, adjust salt if needed.
8) Serve hot with Rice or Roti