Prologue: Go here.
04/27/2012: Tindora Chutney / Dondakaya Chutney - During a routine grocery shopping day, I overheard a conversation between two people, guys actually, who were discussing recipes for Tindora. One of it was making Chutney out of Tindora. I could not stay long without making it look like I am eavesdropping (which I was) to get the entire recipe. However, I got the gist of it and created my version of the recipe. It turned out real good, except that I think I should reduce the tamarind content next time I make it. :) He he!
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chana Dal - 1/2 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - 1 complete sprig
Garlic - 5 cloves medium sized
Green Chilis - 2 medium
Tindora - 1 lbs (Chooped to 1/2 inch pieces)
Salt as needed
Tamarind - 4 or 5 small leaves
Spices - 1tsp Mustard Seeds, 1tsp Cumin Seeds, 1tsp Urad Daal (Black Gram), 1tsp Chana Daal (Split Bengal Gram), a little more than a pinch of Turmeric, 4 to 5 Curry Leaves, 2 to 3 pieces of Red Chilis
1) In a pan, heat Oil. Then add Cumin Seeds, Garlic, Chana Dal, Urad Dal, Sesame Seeds, Green Chilis and Tindora pieces.
2) Stir a little, add Salt. Cook under closed lid for 5 mins.
3) In a blender, grind it into a coarse paste. Put the contents into a bowl.
4) Now in a small skillet, heat Oil and add the Spices in the order mentioned. Once the Spices are fried well, add to the Chutney.
5) Serve with Rice, Roti, Dosa, Upma or Idli.