Prologue: Go here.
04/14/2012: Oats Idli - I think I am getting obsessed with Oats...have been trying quite a few varieties for a while. One of them I tried was these amazing Oats Idli. And I am saying amazing not just because I made them and ate them, but I got officially told so by a friend who tasted them! Yum Yum Yummy!
Regular oats – 1 cup (Dry fry and grind into fine paste)
Rava or Semolina – 1/2 cup (Dry fry until it becomes golden brown)
Curd – 1/2 cup
Water – 3/4 or as required
Asafoetida/Hing – 1/2 tsp
Coriander / Cilantro – 2 tsp. finely chopped
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp.
Oil or Ghee – To grease Idly plates
Masala for the Idli - Saute 2 tsps Mustard Seeds, 1/2 cup medium sized grated Carrot and 2 medium sized Green Chilis in 1 tsp oil until the raw smell of Carrots disappears
1) In a large bowl, mix ground Oats, fried Semolina, Masala and the rest of the ingredients.
2) Add water enough to make it a thick batter like normal Idli batter.
3) Grease the Idli plates with ghee and pour the sufficient amount of batter to the Idli plates. Arrange the Idli plates and steam it for 10-12 minutes or till done.
4) Serve the Oats Idli is ready hot with any chutney of your choice.
5) One can add any kind of vegetables to give the Idlis little more zing.