04/09/2012: Potlakaya Perugu Pachadi / Snake Gourd and Yogurt Chutney - Another dish that we traditionally make at home with Snake Gourd is this yogurt chutney. Hardly takes more than 15 mins to make this and usually is made as a side for any and every kind of entree.
Snake Gourd - 1 medium size (chopped to bite size pieces)
Green chillies - 3 medium
Ginger - a piece of 2inches in size
Curry leaves - 4 to 5
Coriander / Cilantro - a few sprigs
Yogurt - 2 cups
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt to taste.
Spices - 1 tsp of Urad Dal, 1 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1 tsp Cumin Seeds, a pinch of Turmeric, a pinch of Hing / Asafoetida, 2 small Red Chilies (dry) chopped to fine pieces
1) Steam the chopped Snake Gourd in microwave for about 5 mins.
2) Grind the green chillies and ginger.
3) Heat Oil in a pan, then add the Spices in the prder mentioned. Add Curry Leaves, and once everything fries well, add hte steamed Snake Gourd.
4) Saute for 5 mins or until Snake Gourd is completely cooked. Add the Ginger and Green Chili paste and Salt.
5) Saute for a few more mins. Turn off the stove and let it cool for 5 mins.
6) Now add Yogurt to this cooled Chutney and stir well.
7) Garnish with Cilantro leaves.
8) Set for an hour before serving. Best tasted when served chilled.