Prologue: Go here.
03/30/2012: Potlakaya Podi Kura / Snake Guard Dry Curry - Snake is my element and since this vegetable is called as Snake Guard, I rarely cook it. One of the dish that is made is this dry curry.
Unable to post a pic. :(
Potlakaya / Snake Guard - 2 medium (Washed and diced to 1/4 inch pieces)
Onions - 1 small (Diced to small pieces)
Green Chilis - 4 medium chopped to fine pieces
Masoor Dal / Pesarapappu / Split Orange Lentils - 2 tbsps
Coconut Powder - 2 tbsps (Either ground fresh Coconut or frozen Coconut Powder or dry Coconut Powder will work fine)
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2tsps
Spices for Seasoning - 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds, 1/2 tsp Chana Dal, Pinch of Turmeric, Pinch of Hing / Asafoetida, few Curry Leaves
1) In a sauce pan, heat oil. Add the Spices as mentioned.
2) Once the Spices are fried well, add Onions and Green Chilis. Fry till they are translucent.
3) Add Ginger Garlic Paste and Masoor Dal. Fry a little.
4) Now add the Snake Guard pieces. Cook under cover on low flame till the Snake Guard pieces are semi-cooked.
5) Now add Salt and cook again under cover till the pieces are cooked well.
6) Add the Coconut Powder, fry a little and remove from flame.
7) Serve with Rice or Roti.