Prologue: Go here.
03/14/2012: Majjiga Charu / Buttermilk Rasam - A traditional South Indian dish seen as one of the entrees for lunch or dinner. Usually made during hot summers to cool your stomach. I love to make it mostly around festival seasons. Goes with any curry, roti and rice.
Stirred Buttermilk / Majjiga - 1 bowl (Use a whisk to froth the Buttermilk)
Dried Red Chillies - 2 to 3 broken to bitable pieces.
Split Bengal Gram / Chana Dal - 1 tsp
Split Black Gram / Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds / Methi Seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - a pinch
Ginger - 1/4 piece finely chopped
Curry Leaves - 4 to 5 leaves
Onion - 1 small chopped to small pieces
Green chillies - 2 medium chopped finely
Oil - 1 tsp
Coriander / Cilantro - a few for garnishing
Salt to taste Procedure:
1) Heat Oil in a pan and add Chana Dal, Urad Dal, Methi Seeds, Cumin Seeds, Mustard Seeds and red Chilis. Fry for a few seconds until the Urad Dal turns light brown.
2) Now add Curry Leaves, finely chopped Ginger and Green Chillies and fry them till they are cooked well (approx a 1/2 a min)
3) Add a pinch of Turmeric Powder and pour the entire contents into the frothy yogurt.
4) Add Salt per your taste.
5) Now add finely chopped Onion and Cilantro.
6) Serve as an entree with Rice or as a side with Roti.