Prologue: Go here.
03/12/2012: Methi Paratha / Fenugreek Stuffed Indian Bread - Anything can be stuffed into a roti and make a delicious entree for lunch or dinner or even breakfast, if you are a heavy eater. The first in the series for this photo blog is Methi Paratha. Fenugreek Leaves stuffed in Indian Bread dough and rolled into a Roti. It can be eaten as is or with a side.
Wheat Flour - 2 cups
Fenugreek Leaves / Methi - 1 cup (Washed, dried and chopped)
Water - 1.5 cups (or as needed)
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Red Chili Powder - 2 to 3 tsps (or enough for your spiciness)
Turmeric Powder - a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil - for frying on griddle
1) In a large bowl, mix Wheat Flour, Methi Leaves, Cumin Seeds, Salt, Turmeric, Red Chili Powder and 1 cup of water.
2) Knead it into a medium-soft dough. Keep adding the remaining water as needed. Keep aside for 30 minutes covered.
3) Divide the dough into small golf ball-sized portions. Roll them with a roller on a tortilla maker into a circle of 7-8" in diameter.
4) Heat a griddle. Put the rolled paratha on the griddle. Leave it till the paratha puffs up lightly. Turn it over and smear light oil.
5) Turn it over again and apply oil on the other side. Keep flipping until the paratha is well done on both sides.
6) Serve with Yogurt, Coconut Chutney (or any chutney), Pickle or any kind of Masala Powder.