03/10/2012: Beerakaya Pesarapappu Kura / Ridge Gourd Green Gram Dal Curry / Turai Moong Dal Sabzi - One more dish that can be made from this vegetable. I make it lesser number of times than the other version for pure reason that I usually tend to burn the Moong Dal while cooking. Hey, I am an amateur chef, what can you expect me to do! **wicked smile**
Beerakaya/Ridge Gourd - 1 medium (Peel the skin and chop to bite size pieces)
Pesara pappu/Moong Dal - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1 finely chopped
Garlic - 2 large (chopped finely)
Green Chillies - 4 chopped
Spices - 1tsp Mustard Seeds, 1tsp Cumin Seeds, 1tsp Urad Daal (Black Gram), a little more than a pinch of Turmeric, 4 to 5 Curry Leaves
Oil- 3 tsp
Salt to taste
Cilantro - a few sprigs for garnishing
1) Heat oil in a sauce pan and add the Spices in the order mentioned. Once they start sputtering, add Green Chilis and Garlic.
2) Let them fry well. Now add Onions. Fry for five more minutes.
3) Add Pesara Pappu/Moong dal and fry for 5minutes.
4) Now add chopped Beerakaya/Ridge Gourd, and cook in low flame until all are tenderly cooked.
5) Add Salt and garnish it with Cilantro.
6) Serve with Rice or Roti