Prologue: Go here.
03/09/2012 - White Pumpkin Curry (Gravy): Pumpkins make good desserts. However I always wondered how they would taste in spicy dishes. Well, here is one that I tried with White Pumpkins. A spicy gravy curry that would be good with Rice or Roti.
White Pumpkin - 1 slice (chopped to bite size pieces)
Sour Yogurt - 1/3 Cup
Coconut Powder (Dry) - 2 tbsps
Rice Flour - 2 tbsps
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Green Chilis - 4 medium (Chopped finely)
Salt to taste
Water - 1/4 Cup
Oil - 2 tsps
Spices - 1tsp Mustard Seeds, 1tsp Cumin Seeds, 1tsp Urad Daal (Black Gram), a little more than a pinch of Turmeric, 4 to 5 Curry Leaves
Asafoetida / Hing - pinch
1) Boil the chopped White Pumpkin pieces adding Salt and Asafoetida with very little water.
2) Cook under cover till tender. As the vegetable is watery in nature it requires very little water.
3) While the Pumpkin pieces are cooking, grind Coconut Powder, Green Chilis, Cumin Seeds and Rice Flour into a fine paste with Water as much needed.
4) Once the Pumpkin pieces are cooked well, add the ground paste. Simmer for 5 mins on very low flame.
5) Remove from flame and keep aside.
6) In a small skillet add the Spices in the order given.
7) Add the fried Spices to the cooling Pumpkin Curry.
8) Let the Curry cool for another 10 minutes. Now add the Sour Yogurt and mix thoroughly.
9) Serve with Rice or Roti