03/08/2012: Sabudana Upma / Pearl Sago Upma / Saggubiyyam Upma - A simple dish that I make for dinner whenever I feel like not cooking at all. :)
Sabudana / Saggubiyyam / Pear Sago - 1 Cup (Soak in very hot water for 45 mins prior to you start cooking)
Onion - 1 medium (Chopped to fine pieces)
Green Chilis - 3 large (chopped finely)
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsps
Spices - 1tsp Mustard Seeds, 1tsp Cumin Seeds, 1tsp Urad Daal (Black Gram), 1 tsp Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram), a Pinch of Asafoetida, 3 or 4 Curry Leaves
Coconut Powder (Dry) - 3 tbsps
Red Chili Powder - 2 tsps (enough for your taste)
Putnalu Podi / Putana Powder / Roasted Chana Dal Powder - 3 to 4 tsps
1) In a sauce pan, heat Oil. Add the Spices in order mentioned.
2) After Spices are fried up, add Green Chilis. Saute a little.
3) Add the chopped Onions.
4) In the meanwhile in a small bowl, mix Coconut Powder, Red Chili Powder and Putnalu Podi together.
5) Once the Onions are almost transparent, add Salt. Stir once. Then add the mixture from Step 4 above.
6) Stir the entire contents and leave on low flame until Onions are cooked well.
7) Filter the soaked Sabudana. Add them to the sauce pan.
8) Stir well, and leave on low flame for about 3 to 4 minutes.
9) Serve hot with Curd or Raitha.