02/25/2012: Dondakaya Curry / Tindora Curry - A little of this and a little of that; a chop here, a stir there; a mix here, a dash there; and voila! The curry is ready to be served and eaten. **Happy Eating!!**
Tindora - 1/2 lb (slice into thin long 2 inch pieces)
Onion - 1 medium (chopped to thin pieces)
Green Chilis - 4 to 5 cut into large pieces
Coconut Powder - 3 tbsps
Salt to taste
Turmeric - a pinch
Oil - 2 tsps
Spices - 1tsp Mustard Seeds, 1tsp Cumin Seeds, 1tsp Urad Daal (Black Gram), 1 tsp Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram), 2 to 3 Curry Leaves
1) In a sauce pan, heat Oil. Add the spices in the order mentioned. Fry them well.
2) Add Onions. Fry till they are translucent.
3) Add the cut Tindora pieces. Stir well and cover till they are semi-cooked.
4) In the meanwhile in a blender, mix the Green Chilis and Coconut Powder into a fine paste.
5) Remove cover from the sauce pan, stir once and add Salt.
6) Simmer on low flame and cook till the Tindora is well-cooked.
7) Add the Green Chilis and Coconut Powder mixture to the curry.
8) Stir well and remove from flame.
9) Serve with Rice.