02/23/2012: Sorakaya Pottu Chutney / Bottle Gourd Skin's Chutney / Turai Skin Chutney - The second of the dish made with this vegetable is the Chutney made from the skin of Sorakaya. This is frequently made at my home although not sure if anyone else makes it or not.
Sorakaya / Bottle Gourd / Turai - A handful of pieces (Microwave with 1/4 cup water until they are cooked well)
Sorakaya Pottu / Bottle Gourd Skin - Skin peeled from a medium sized Sorakaya (Microwave it with 1/2 a cup water until the skin is semi-cooked)
Chana Dal / Senagapappu / Split Bengal Gram - 2 tbsps
Urad Dal / Minapappu / Split Black Gram - 1 tsp
Sesame Seeds / Nuvvulu - 1 tsp
Tamarind - 5 to 6 sprigs
Green Chilis - 5 to 6 (Cut into 1 inch pieces)
Coconut - 2 1 inch pieces if used fresh Coconut or 2 tbsps if used dry or frozen Coconut Powder
Garlic - 2 medium sized cloves
Salt to taste
Turmeric - a pinch
Oil - 2 tsps
Water - as needed
Spices - 1tsp Mustard Seeds, 1tsp Cumin Seeds, 1tsp Urad Daal (Black Gram), 1 tsp Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram), 4 or 5 pieces Red Chilis Dry, a Pinch of Asafoetida
Onion - 1/4 medium sized chopped to fine pieces.
1) In a skillet, heat 2 tsps of Oil. Add the Chana Dal, Urad Dal, Sesame Seeds, Green Chilis, Tamarind, Garlic and Coconut Powder to it. Fry till they are well done.
2) Keep aside and let it cool.
3) In a blender, mix all the fried ingredients along with Turmeric and Salt into a fine powder.
4) Add the cooked Sorakaya Pottu to the poder and blend it into a paste. Add Water as needed to make it a good paste.
5) Lastly add the Sorakaya pieces and blend once quickly. The pieces should not be broken finely, they should remain visible enough yet broken lightly.
6) Put the contents from the blender into a bowl.
7) In a small skillet, heat the remaining Oil. Add the Spices in the order mentioned. Once they are fried well, add to the Chutney along with chopped Onions.
8) Serve with Rice, Roti, Poori or Dosa.