02/22/2012: Sorakaya Curry / Bottle Gourd Curry / Lauki Curry - Another vegetable where everything can be used to make something or other and no waste left behind. First of them that I made is this curry. A very simple procedure to make a yummy curry.
Sorakaya / Lauki / Bottle Gourd - 1 medium, peeled and chopped to 1-inch pieces
Onion - 1 Large, chopped to thin slices
Green Chilis - 3 to 4, chopped to thin pieces
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Salt to Taste
Oil - 2 tsps
Sugar - 1 tsp
Turmeric - a pinch
Milk - 4 tbsps
Spices - 1tsp Mustard Seeds, 1tsp Cumin Seeds, 1tsp Urad Daal (Black Gram), 1 tsp Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram), 4 to 5 Curry Leaves, a Pinch of Asafoetida
1) In a Sauce Pan, heat oil. Add the Spices mentioned in the order. Once they are fried well, add the Green Chilis.
2) When fried well, add Onions and Ginger Garlic Paste. Fry well.
3) Add the Sorakaya pieces. Cook until the pieces are close to well-cooked, approx 10 minutes.
4) Add Salt, Turmeric, Sugar and Milk.
5) Simmer on low flame till the pieces are well-cooked.
6) Serve with Rice or Roti.