02/21/2012: Vegetarian Jambalaya Rice - Happy Mardi Gras! On the eve of this festival, I made the vegetarian version of the Jamabalaya Rice which is very famous in the southern states of United States. Mardi Gras falls on the day before Lent period starts, the appropriately called as Fat Tuesday. Aptly called so as everyone eat and drink to their fill before the Lent starts where they give up one or more item of food or drink for the period of Lent. I am not really going to go thru the Lent period, but what is the harm in making some good food. **wicked smile**
I took this recipe from online and customized it to suit me. It did turn out yummy although I think it would have been better if Chili Garlic Sauce was used instead of Tabasco Sauce. I do hope if anyone of my readers makes it would like it as well.
Oil - 2 1/2 Tbsp
Oniom - 1 medium, chopped into think slices
Green Bell Pepper - 1 chopped into think slices
Yellow Bell Pepper - 1 chopped into thin slices
Tomato - 1 medium diced well
Garlic - 2 to 3 cloves minced
Salt to Taste
Cayenne Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Tabasco Sauce - 1 tsp
Dried Thyme - 1/4 tsp
Soy Sausage Link - 1 cut to 1-inch pieces
Red Kidney Beans - 1 cup (canned)
White Rice - 1 cup cooked
Sour Cream - a few dollops
1) Heat 1 1/2 tsp Oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2) Add the Onion, Green Bell Pepper, Yellow Bell pepper and Garlic, cover, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened.
3) Remove the cover, add 1 cup Water, Salt, Cayenne Pepper, Tabasco, and Thyme.
4) Chop the Tomatoes and add them to the mixture. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
5) Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
6) Heat the remaining Oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the Soy Sausage Link pieces, cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned
7) Then add to the Tomato mixture along with the Red Kidney Beans.
8) Adjust the seasonings to taste and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
9) Add the cooked Rice and stir well.
10) Serve with a few dollops of Sour Cream.