02/16/2012: Beerakaya Curry / Ridge Gourd Curry / Turai Curry - Second delicacy made with this vegetable is this curry. I am not a great fav of the curry but I make it still when I have time pressing at my hand and this is the sole vegetable in my fridge. :P
Beerakaya / Ridge Gourd / Turai - 1 Medium sized (Peeled and cut to bite size pieces. Keep the peel aside for another dish that you can make it later)
Onion - 1 large (Chopped to fine pieces)
Turmeric - a pinch
Salt to taste
Green Chilis - 3 to 4 medium chopped to 1-inch pieces
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Spices - 1tsp Mustard Seeds, 1tsp Cumin Seeds, 1tsp Urad Daal (Black Gram), 1 tsp Chana Dal (Split Bengal Gram), 4 to 5 Curry Leaves, a Pinch of Asafoetida
Oil - 2 tsps
1) In a sauce pan, heat oil. Add the spices in the order mentioned. After they fry well, add Greem Chilis.
2) Once the Green Chilis are semi-cooked, add onions to it.
3) When the Onions start to turn the color, add Turmeric and Ginger Garlic Paste. Mix well.
4) Now add the Beerakaya (Ridge Gourd / Turai) pieces. Stir well with a spoon.
5) Cook on low flame and covered until the Beerakaya pieces are cooked well.
6) Add Salt, stir and simmer for few minutes.
7) Remove from flame.
8) Serve with Rice or Roti.