Prologue: Go here.
02/15/2012: Beerakaya Pappu / Ridge Gourd Dal / Turai Dal - One of the vegetables that we can make many delicacies again. Even the skin of this vegetable can be made into another delicacy. Just like a Neem tree, not a single part of this vegetable is wasted. The first dish I am posting for this Vegetable is a simple dal.
Toor Dal (Split Pigeon Peas) - 1 cup
Beerakaya / Ridge Gourd / Turai - 1 Medium sized (Peeled and cut to bite size pieces. Keep the peel aside for another dish that you can make it later)
Onion - 1 large (Chopped to fine pieces)
Turmeric - a pinch
Water - 2.5 cups
Salt to taste
Green Chilis - 3 to 4 medium chopped to 1-inch pieces
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
Spices - 1tsp Mustard Seeds, 1tsp Cumin Seeds, 1tsp Urad Daal (Black Gram), 1 Red Chilli split into bite size pieces, 4 to 5 Curry Leaves, a Pinch of Asafoetida
Oil - 1tsp
1) Pressure cook Toor Dal, Beerakaya pieces, Onion, Turmeric, Ginger Garlic Paste, Green Chilis along with water.
2) After pressure releases, remove the cover and pour the contents into another sauce pan already heating on a low flame.
3) Add Salt to it and let it simmer for atleast 5 to 8 minutes. Add water if needed to make it a little thinner in consistency.
4) Remove from stove.
5) In a small skillet heat the Oil. Add the spices in the order listed. After they fry well add it to the Dal.
6) Serve hot with Rice, Roti or Poori.