Prologue: Go here.
02062012: Kakarakaya Kura / Karela Curry / Bitter Gourd Curry - At one point of time this was one vegetable that I had absolutely refused to eat even if I was taken to a bat. And now this is one of my most favorite vegetable that I love not only to cook but eat heartily. All thanks to mom's delicious recipe that I appreciated years later.
Bitter Gourd / Kakarakaya - 2 (medium sized)
Onions - 1 medium (Chopped to fine pieces)
Green Chilis - 3 (Chopped to small pieces)
Salt to taste
Sugar - 1 tsp
Lemon Juice - 3 tsps
Oil - 5 tbsps
Spices for Seasoning - 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds, 1/2 tsp Chana Dal, Pinch of Turmeric, Pinch of Asafoetida / Hing, few Curry Leaves
1) Peel the bitter gourds lightly just enough to scrape the top layer. (Pic on the left).
2) Cut into small pieces. In a bowl place the pieces, add a little Salt and the Lemon Juice. Marinate it for about 20 mins.
3) In the meanwhile, in a sauce pan, heat 2 tsps of Oil. Fry the Green Chilis and Onions till the onions are translucent. Remove from flame and keep it aside.
4) Now, squeeze out all the juice from the marinated Bitter Gourd pieces.
5) In another sauce pan, heat the remaining Oil. Add the Spices mentioned in the order. After Spices are fried, put the marinated Bitter Gourd pieces.
6) Stir occasionally until the pieces are cooked well.
7) Add the pre-cooked Onions and Green Chilis. Stir the entire curry.
8) Add Salt and Sugar to it. Simmer for a few minutes before removing from flame.
9) Serve with hot Rice.