02/03/2012: Goruchikkudikaya Kura / Cluster Beans Curry / Gawar Beans Curry - One of the vegetables that I cook rarely because of the amount of time it takes to just cut these veggies. Yet I make it once in a while as I like this version of the curry very much! Enjoy the recipe.
Goruchikkudukayalu - 1/2 lb (Washed and diced to 1/4 inch pieces)
Onions - 2 small (Diced to small pieces)
Chana Daal (Split Bengal Gram) - 2 tbsp
Water - 3 cups
Green Chilis - 4 long
Coconut Powder - 2 tbsps (Either ground fresh Coconut or frozen Coconut Powder or dry Coconut Powder will work fine)
salt to taste
Oil - 2tsps
Spices for Seasoning - 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds, 1/2 tsp Chana Dal, Pinch of Turmeric, Pinch of Hing / Asafoetida, few Curry Leaves
1) Pressure cook diced Cluster Beans and Chana Daal with the three cups of Water. Just give only 3 whistles.
2) Filter the water and leave the contents to cool.
3) In a sauce pan, heat oil. Add the Spices as mentioned.
4) Once the Spices are fried well, add Onions. Fry till they are translucent.
5) Add cooked Cluster Beans and Chana Daal to the Onions. Fry a little.
6) While this is cooking, grind Green Chilies and Coconut Powder into coarse powder in a blender.
7) Then add the mixture to the curry along with Salt.
8) Simmer on low flame for a few minutes before removing from flame.
9) Serve with Rice or Roti.