Prologue: Go here.
02/02/2012: Vegetarian Chili - Happy Groundhog Day! I would pick any other day for a groundhog day except for this day filled with cold and fever lest the day would repeat for itself. So, warrant away the feeling, I resorted to kill my cold with some more spicy stuff. Well, Pepper Rasam was one but needed more ammunition when you face a Groundhog Day. And what better than spicy Vegetarian Chili for dinner!
Black Beans - 1 Can drained
Kidney Beans - 1 can drained
Tomatoes - 1 can diced / 2 chopped finely
Onion - 1 diced
Garlic - 3 cloves minced
Bell Pepper - 1 diced (any color. I added green ones)
Oil - 2 tbsp
Chili Powder - 2 tbsp (or as much spicy as you eat)
Salt to taste
Pepper - 1/2 tsp
vegetable broth - 1/2 cup
Water - 3 cups
Red Pepper flakes - as much spice you want (optional)
1) In a medium soup pot, heat Oil. The saute Onion, Bell Pepper and Garlic.
2) Add Tomatoes, Vegetable Broth and Chili Powder and stir.
3) After the vegetables cook a little, add all the Beans stirring occasionally.
4) Cook for 10 minutes. Add Water, salt and Pepper. Cook for 20 minutes before serving.
5) For spicier chili, add Red Pepper Flakes after adding Water.
6) Serve hot with Chips.
Note: The longer the Chili is cooked, the better it is. However, 20-30 minutes of cooking should be enough if served immediately.