02/01/2012: Pepper Rasam / Miriyala Chaaru - Homesick with cold that day had taken away every ounce of energy in my body. Yet I was hungry and had to eat something. Then a comment by Prashanth to my sick status update got me to make this dish, rather reluctantly because of my weakness (**devil grin**). What a relief it was to eat Pepper Rasam with hot Rice for my nose. And I had it for the next three days to get rid of that horrible monster out of my nose. Mission accomplished.
Tamarind - size of a 1/2 small lime
Water - 4 cups
Cilantro / Coriander - a few sprigs chopped
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tsps
Spices for Powder - 1 tbsp Chana Dal / Split Chickpeas, 1 tbsp Toor Dal / Split Pigeon Peas, 1 tbsp Dhania / Whole Coriander Seeds, 1 tsp, Jeera / Cumin Seeds, 1 tsp Miriyalu / Whole Black Pepper, Pinch of Mentulu / Fenugreek Seeds
Spices for Seasoning - 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds, 2 Cloves of Garlic (Chopped coarsely), Pinch of Turmeric, Pinch of Hing / Asafoetida, few Curry Leaves
1) In a small skillet, roast the Spices for the powder in the order given.
2) Grind it into a coarse powder in a blender.
3) In a sauce pan, boil Water, Tamarind and ground Powder for 5-7 minutes.
4) Strain the liquid discarding the pulp. Keep the liquid aside.
5) Add Salt and Cilantro to the liquid and stir well.
6) In a small skillet, heat Oil. Then add the Spices for Seasoning in the order mentioned.
7) Once the Spices heat, add it to the Rasam.
8) Serve hot with cooked Rice.