Opps! I had forgotten Sugar and thanks for the friendly reader who reminded me. :P Now the recipe is complete!
Prologue: Go here.
01/30/2012: Sabudana Sevayya Kheer / Saggubiyyam Semiya Payasam / Pearl Sago Vermicelli Dessert - On this day of Rathasaptami, I tried this dish for the very first time. Rathasaptami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratha_Saptami) is a spring festival celebrating the harvest season that falls approx 15 days after Sankranthi. I had to re-do it for the picture later cause initially it turned out a little not so right. Thanks to my aunt whom I met a week after when she gave me a little tip to turn this into awesome sweet. Great tip, chinnamma! Yum Yum Yummy!
Pearl Sago / Saggubiyyam / Sabudana - 1/4 cup (Soak in hot water for 30 mins)
Vermicelli / Semiya / Seviya - 1/4 cup (Fry till golden brown in a little dollop of ghee. I used store bought fried vermicelli. It is simply easier. :P)
Milk - 1 cup
Sugar - 3 Tablespoons
Cardamom Powder - 1/4 tsp
Cashewnuts - handful (Fry them to golden brown in a little pinch of ghee)
1) In a saucepan, heat the milk a little. Add the soaked Sabudana to the milk.
2) Let it boil till Sabudana gets cooked well.
3) Now add the fried Vermicelli. On a low flame cook till Vermicelli becomes translucent.
4) Add Sugar, fried Cashewnuts and Cardamoms to it.
5) Mix well and simmer for a few minutes. Remove from the flame before the milk thickens.
6) Serve hot or chilled.
Note: You can add Raisins and Almonds too. I dont like either of them so much so did not add them.