Prologue: Go here.
01/16/2012: Semiya Payasam / Seviya Kheer / Vermicelli Payasam - The third day of Sankranthi is Kanuma which is not so widely celebrated although the spirit of Ragoli and Kites continues on this day. I was lazy this year to cook anything for this day and satisfied myself with this simple sweet.
Vermicelli - 1 cup (I used Fried Vermicelli. If you get normal Vermicelli, fry it in a dollop of Ghee until they turn golden brown.)
Milk - 2 cups
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Raisins - handful
Cashewnuts - handful (fried to golden brown in ghee)
Cardamom Powder - 1/4 tsp (coarsely ground Cardamoms)
1) In a sauce pan, boil Milk.
2) Add Sugar to the boiled Milk. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
3) Add Fried Vermicelli. Let it cook on low flame till the Vermicelli is soft and almost translucent.
4) Add Cashewnuts, Raisins and Cardamom Powder. Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
5) Remove from flame. Serve hot or cold.