01/14/2012: Tamarind Rice - Happy Bhogi to everyone! The three day festival called "Sankranthi / Pongal" starts with Bhogi on the first day. The festival is filled with Muggu / Kolam designs, Kite flying (which is a literal competition filled with Strategy in India as opposed to being an Engineering here in States) and ofcourse lots of food. On the day of Bhogi, the new fruits of the season, flowers and money are mixed together and poured over little kids; a ceremony called as Bhogi Pallu. Well, history apart this time is for food as well. One of the traditional entree is Tamarind Rice which is what adorns the album today!
Rice - 2 cups (Pressure cooked with 4 glasses of water)
Green Chillies - 4 to 5 chopped finely
Tamarind Paste - 2 to 3 tbsps (Homemade or store bought. For store bought, look for Priya Pulihora Paste in stores. For homemade, follow this journey in my kitchen and you will find it some day. :))
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tbsps
Spices - 1tsp Mustard Seeds, 1tsp Cumin Seeds, 1tsp Urad Daal (Black Gram), 2 tsp Chana Daal (Split Bengal Gram), 1 Red Chilli split into bite size pieces, 1/4 tsp Turemeric Powder, 4 to 5 Curry Leaves, a Pinch of Asafoetida, handful of Fried Cashewnuts
1) Separate the cooked rice with hand and pour it into a mixing bowl.
2) Add Salt and Tamaring Paste.
3) In a small skillet, heat oil. Add the spices in the order mentioned. You can use Peanuts instead of Cashewnuts if you are not allergic peanuts. Or avoid the nuts altogether if you are allergic to nuts in general.
4) Once the Spices fry well, pour the mixture on the Rice.
5) Let it cool a bit and mix thoroughly.
6) Serve with any Curry or Chutney.