Past few months I have started incorporating various kinds of millets into my daily diet. Either make them into Upma, Idli, Dosa, or substitute them with rice when I make any of the rice specials that are on my blog (Find my recipes here). I have a few kinds of Millets at home - Sorghum (Jowar); Foxtail Millet: Finger Millet (Ragi); Pearl Millet (Barley); Barnyard Millet; Kodo Millet; Little Millet and Proso Millets
Today I am sharing with you all these yummy Millets Idli. I paired them with a bowl of Sambar (Recipe here), a bowl of Coconut Chutney (Recipe here) and Karivepaku Podi in Oil (= Spicy Curry Leaves Powder in Oil)
Ingredients for Idli:
1) Millets Idli Ravva - 2 Cups (I used the store bought Millets Idli Ravva packet when I was in India for a short trip last month) - Soak in water for 4 to 8 hrs
2) Urad Daal (Split Black Gram or Minapappu) - 1 Cup - Soak in water for 4 to 8 hrs.
3) Water as needed
4) Salt per taste
5) Ghee / Clarified Butter as needed.
1) After soaking for the required amount of time, grind Urad Daal into a fine batter. Add water if needed, but not too much. The consistency should be a bit thicker than pancake mix.
2) In a bowl, pour the Urad Daal Batter.
3) Remove water from soaked Millets Idli Ravva. Fold it into the Urad Daal Batter.
4) Mix thoroughly. Add Salt per your taste.
5) Leave it overnight or for 8 hrs in a warm corner in your kitchen for fermentation process.( Collapse )